Acne Scarring - Acne Treatment | Hartford | Avon
Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a special treatment performed with a topical photo sensitizer called Levulan or Aminolevulinic Acid (ALA), a special light and molecular oxygen to selectively destroy abnormal cells. ALA is a natural substance found throughout your body, as it is a precursor for hemoglobin synthesis.When localized in the target tissue, the ALA is activated by light to produce oxygen intermediates that destroy target tissue cells.The easy access of skin to light-based therapy has led physicians to utilize PDT as a treatment regimen for skin disorders.
This treatment has the unique ability to minimize pores and reduce oil glands to effectively treat stubborn acne vulgaris, and acne rosacea while improving the appearance of some acne scars.This PDT photo-rejuvenation is also known as Power Photofacial or Super Photofacial because the results are similar to 3-5 photofacial treatments.
Advantages of Photodynamic Therapy for Acne Treatment
- With short incubation, it is painless. Teenagers are very receptive to this treatment modality.
- It improves teenagers compliance since they often do not use adjunct creams and/or pills.
- No oral medications such as an antibiotic or isotrentinion are necessary.
- PDT kills the acne bacteria as well as reducing sebaceous glands.These are the two things that cause acne.
- It restores the skin integrity to a large degree, resulting in sometimes amazing improvement of not only acne but also acne scarring.
- It can result in long-lasting remissions .